The Building and Codes division of Community Development is tasked with enforcing the building codes of Bryan County. Currently, Bryan County uses the following Codes:
· International Building Code, 2012 Edition, with Georgia Amendments 2014, 2015, 2017, and 2018;
· International Residential Code, 2012 Edition, with Georgia Amendments 2014, 2015, 2018;
· International Fire Code, 2012 Edition, with Georgia Amendments 2014;
· International Plumbing Code, 2012 Edition, with Georgia Amendments 2014, 2015;
· International Mechanical Code, 2012 Edition with Georgia Amendments 2014, 2015;
· International Fuel Gas Code, 2012 Edition with Georgia Amendments 2014, 2015;
· National Electrical Code, 2017 Edition (No Georgia Amendments);
· International Energy Conservation Code, 2009 Edition, with Georgia Amendments;
· International Swimming Pool and Spa Code, 2012 Edition with Georgia Amendments
Copies of the Georgia Amendments may be obtained from the Department of Community Affairs
Bryan County anticipates Georgia will adopt the 2018 IBC and IRC by the end of 2019. Upon adoption by the state, Bryan County will be enforcing these codes.
A building permit is required for any structure greater than 120 square feet in size. You may obtain a building permit application and a schedule of fees on our Applications page. Building permit applications may be hand delivered or mailed to our Richmond Hill office (66 Captain Matthew Freeman Drive, Suite 201, Richmond Hill, GA 31324) or our Pembroke office (51 Courthouse Street, Pembroke, GA 31321). The County has up to 30 days to process your application. If the project is located in the South Bryan County Transportation Impact Fee District, the applicable impact fees must be paid prior to the building permit being issued.
Once a building permit is issued, inspections may be scheduled either via phone (912-756-7962) or email email@example.com. Inspections must be scheduled by 4:00 p.m. the day before the desired inspection date. The message must include the 911 address of the property, permit number, type of inspection needed, and contact information (name and phone number). Once scheduled, if you need to cancel the inspection, please call 912-459-6519. Inspections will usually be performed by 3:00 p.m., and the inspector will leave a copy of the inspection report at the job site. The Inspection Schedule is available on our applications page.
If you have questions about the building code or inspections, you may contact one of our inspectors:
James "Ken" Holton Robbie Jordan